Grades are awarded for all courses taken at JIU. Letter grades are the default grading option for most courses. Non-degree students may request the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading option. The faculty member facilitating the course determines and awards all grades, evaluating the student’s work against defined course requirements. Grades cannot be appealed unless certain conditions are met. Refer to the Grade Appeals section below for conditions.

Grades are a reflection of a student’s work, understanding of course content, and ability to demonstrate one’s learning by completing assignments and other course milestones.  Faculty members assign grades based on rubrics and other course variables including; but not limited to, attendance, course participation and the like.  Students are encouraged to view an ‘A’ grade as evidence of exemplary work, attention to detail, and advanced synthesis of information. A ‘B’ indicates a student’s thorough attention to the course, and a ‘C’ grade demonstrates the student completed assignments and participated, but there is room for additional indications of course mastery.

Grade Point Average

The grade point average measures the achievement of the student for the number of credits completed. To calculate the grade point average, follow the example below. (A=4.0, B=3.0, C=2.0, D=1.0, U=0)

A student received an “A” for one 3 credit course and a “B” for a second 3 credit course. Here is how the student’s grade point average would be calculated.

  • First, calculate the total of grade points earned.
    • 4.0 (for the “A” grade) x 3 (for the 3 credit course) = 12 grade points
    • 3.0 (for the “B” grade) x 3 (for the 3 credit course) =  9 grade points
    • Total the grade points: 12 + 9 = 21
  • Total the number of credits earned:    3 + 3 = 6
  • Divide the number of grade points earned by the number of credits completed:   21 ÷ 6 = 3.5

The student’s grade point average for the completed courses is: 3.5

Incomplete grades that are not completed within the permitted parameters are calculated as “U” in the GPA. In the case of repeat courses, only the most favorable grade is used. Grades received at another institution are not calculated into the GPA earned at JIU.

Grade Reports

Grades are available to students after the course has concluded and grades have been recorded. Students may access their grades through the student portal.

"S" Grade - Satisfactory

Certificate and Individual course students have the option of receiving an "S" or Satisfactory grade for courses within their certificate program. The following will apply:

  1. "S" indicates that a student successfully completed course requirements with at least a grade of "C" and has consequently earned credit for the course.
  2. The course will not count toward the student’s grade point average.

This option is not available for degree-seeking students and is not transferable into a degree. Some certificates designed for specific clients will be available with the "S" grade as the only grading option. In other certificate programs, students must declare the "S" grade status for the course no later than end of the first week of the course by submitting the Grading Status Change Request Form to the Office of the Registrar by email (, fax 303.784.8547 or mail.


Students participating in JIU courses or certificate programs are allowed to take courses on a Pass/Fail basis. The following policies will apply:

  1. Students must declare a Pass/Fail status in a course no later than the end of the first week of the course by submitting the Grading Status Change Request Form to the Office of the Registrar Office by email, fax, or mail.
  2. Courses taken as Pass/Fail are not awarded academic credit (not transferable toward a Jones International University degree), but they are applicable toward any certificate of specialization.
  3. The faculty member facilitating the course makes the final decision regarding requirements to receive a Pass grade. Specific requirements will be defined for a student at the time of the request.
  4. A Pass/Fail grade is not used to calculate a student’s grade point average and can be changed to a grade (academic credit) only after re-taking the course.

U and UNA grades

JIU uses one of two grades to indicate that a student has failed a course. A typical failure is indicated with a "U" grade. A failing grade due to non-participation is indicated with a "UNA" graded. Non-participation is defined as not participating (indicated by posting in the Forum and/or Grade Book) in a course after the thirty-fifth (35th) day of that class. If a student receives a "UNA" grade s/he may be subject to the unofficial course drop policy.

Incomplete Grade Request

If students are unable to complete the requirements of a course by the end of the course, a student may request an “I” grade. To be eligible to request an “I” grade, the student must have at least 50% of their course assignments completed with a passing grade at the time of the request.

  • Only a student can initiate and submit an Incomplete Request Form
  • The student must submit the completed Incomplete Request Form to the faculty member. This form must be requested from the Student Solutions Advisor.
    • The deadline for submitting the Incomplete Request Form is 11:59 p.m. MT on the seventh Saturday of the course.
  • The completed form from the student must include:
    • the specific assignments that are to be completed and
    • the plan for completion of the course, including due dates.
  • Only the faculty can grant approval of the “I” Grade

    The faculty member must respond to the student’s request for an “I” Grade within one business day. If denied, the faculty member will return a Direct Post to the student indicating why the request was denied. If approved, the faculty member must sign the form no later than one business day from the initial request.

  • Payment Arrangements

    The Registrar’s Office will contact the student to arrange payment of the $100 incomplete fee. The fee is due from the student no later than the last day of the course (Saturday of the last week). If the fee is not paid, the faculty member will assign the final grade earned by the student as of the last day of the course. The student will no longer have access to the course.

  • Only the Office of the Registrar can assign an “I” Grade

    If the coursework is not submitted within four weeks of the course concluding, the Office of the Registrar will automatically convert the “I” grade to a “U” grade.

"CR" Grade

Doctoral students who pass the writing assignment in DOC900 with all advanced scores may request to receive credit for DOC910 and DOC911 which then will reflect a grade of CR.

Grade Changes

On those occasions where a grade change is necessary because of a grading error, miscalculation of final grade, removal of an Incomplete, or other sufficient reason, the faculty member involved will submit a Grade Change Form to the Office of the Registrar. If approved, this change will be entered in the student’s academic record, and the student and faculty member will be notified of the action (see Formal Complaint/Appeal Process and Investigation for more options).

Grade Appeals

Students may appeal the final grade of a course if they believe the grade was assigned in a capricious, arbitrary, discriminatory, or prejudiced manner. Students may not appeal individual assignment grades within a course. If a student believes the faculty member is acting in a capricious, arbitrary, discriminatory, or prejudiced manner, the student may submit a formal complaint to the Office of Student Affairs (OSA) by following the Formal Complaint Process and Investigation.

Students appealing their final grade should follow this process:

  1. Students with concerns about a final course grade should first contact their faculty member for explanation and possible remediation. Where a grade change is necessary because of a grading error, or for other sufficient reason, the faculty member will submit a Grade Change Form to the Office of the Registrar.
  2. Students unable to resolve a final grade dispute with their faculty member can file a final grade appeal by completing the Final Grade Appeal Form.  This form requires the student submit evidence of the attempt to resolve the grade with the instructor; evidence of the capricious, arbitrary, discriminatory, or prejudiced manner the grade was assigned; all other evidence in the student’s possession relevant to the appeal.
  3. Final Grade appeals must be submitted no later than 30 days after the course (for which the grade is being appealed) has officially ended.

Once the appeal has been submitted, the OSA will review the appeal, the evidence, and the course forum and gradebook. Where necessary, the OSA will collaborate with the instructor, and other appropriate JIU administration to resolve the appeal.

The OSA will respond in writing to the student and explain the final decision. The decision of the Office of Student Affairs is final.

Credit/Non-Credit Change

Registering for Credit

Students who register in a course for credit are charged full tuition and expected to participate fully in the activities of the course. Assignments must be submitted on time for grading and review by email, online, and occasionally by mail or fax. The faculty member facilitating the course determines and awards a final grade. A student’s permanent record will indicate if a course was taken for credit, and it will list the final course grade. The grade will be used in calculating the student’s cumulative grade point average at JIU.

Registering for Non-Credit Students who decide to register in a course for non-credit will be charged full tuition, since they receive all required materials and have access to all of the opportunities available to credit students. The only difference in registering for non-credit is that students are not required to submit tests or complete all assignments.

Students who have elected to receive non-credit for JIU courses are asked to participate in class discussions, submit web exercises, and are encouraged to complete key assignments. These assignments will be returned with comments and without a grade. JIU faculty feels that this level of participation is necessary to facilitate students’ personal and professional growth. A student’s permanent record will show that s/he registered in the course as a non-credit student. No grade will be given, and the notation “N” (for “Non-Credit”) will appear on the record. Non-credit coursework may not be used to satisfy degree program or certificate program requirements.

Changing from Non-Credit to Credit

A student may request to change from non-credit to credit status prior to the fifth week of the course. A Grading Status Change Request Form, available from the Resource Center in the student portal, must be sent to the Office of the Registrar ( and to the faculty member who will document that assignments are up-to-date.

Changing from Credit to Non-Credit

A student may request to change from credit to non-credit status prior to the fifth week of the course. No reason for the change will need to be given. Students must make a formal request to the Office of the Registrar ( by submitting a completed Grading Status Change Request Form via letter, fax or email (the form is available from the Resource Center in the student portal).

Grade Value Summary

Grade Grade Definition Grade Points Counts as Attempted Count as Earned Count in SAP
A Honors 4 Yes Yes Yes
B High Pass 3 Yes Yes Yes
C Pass 2 Yes Yes Yes
D Low Pass (Undergraduate only) 1 Yes Yes Yes
U Unsatisfactory 0 Yes No Yes
UNA Unsatisfactory due to non-attendance 0 Yes No Yes
S Satisfactory   Yes No No
ADR Administrative Course Drop   No No No
NDR Non-attendance Course Drop   No No No
DR Student-initiated course drop prior to the fourteenth (14th) day of the course   No No No
NR Not Recorded   No No No
SC Student-initiated course drop after the fourteenth (14th) day of the course   Yes No Yes
I Incomplete   Yes No No
IP In Progress   Yes No Yes
N Audit (Non-Credit)   No No No
CP Credit for Prior Learning Portfolio*   No Yes Yes
CR Credit   No Yes Yes
TR Transfer Credit*   No Yes Yes
P Pass   Yes No No
F Fail   Yes No No

* Will be included in the number of credits eligible for the 150% (depending on the degree program) requirement for financial aid students (See Satisfactory Academic Progress).

Repeating Courses

Students may elect to repeat a course for which they have already earned credit at JIU. In such situations, both course entries will be listed on the students’ academic record (i.e. the transcript and grade report). Course credits will be counted only once for purposes of fulfilling degree requirements; however, both courses will be included in SAP completion rate and maximum timeframe calculations (See Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy). Although both the original and repeat course will be on the student’s transcript, the GPA calculation will only include the most favorable grade. Federal financial aid will pay for no more than one repetition of any course.

Version: 1
Last Updated:
Wed, 05/13/2015 - 12:35